EVENING RECEPTIONIST (PART-TIME)
Gladstone’s Library is a Grade I listed, Prime Ministerial residential library in Hawarden, Flintshire. It also benefits from five modern meeting rooms, 25 boutique bedrooms and a bistro, Food for Thought. An exciting and rare opportunity has arisen to be to be a part of the hospitality team.
Overall purpose of the role
Reporting to the Operations Manager, you will be the first point of contact for all visitors entering the building. This essential role is to oversee the direction of evening visitors which can vary from conference/meeting room bookings, Friends using the Reading Rooms and residents using other facilities. This role will also enable an extension to current daytime service such as checking guests into bedroom accommodation, answering visitor questions, taking bookings and payment for accommodation and event tickets, as well as answering email and telephone enquiries.
Gladstone’s Library is a beautiful Grade I listed building and is one of the most significant heritage sites in North Wales. The candidate must have a good understanding of hospitality and be able to deliver a high level of customer service, with professionalism and accuracy being of key importance. The successful candidate must be reliable, punctual, efficient and able to work well under pressure. The candidate must be able to work independently, showing ability to use initiative and display a positive ‘can do’ attitude.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Confidently deal with all enquiries, and resolve any issues quickly with the support of the Operations Manager and the Library Warden
- Greet all visitors into the building, answering queries or questions in an efficient and polite manner
- Check guests into accommodation, offering them the key information and details for their stay. Answering telephone calls and emails, responding to booking requests for events and accommodation and operate the hotel booking system to register all hospitality enquiries
- Oversee evening group/conference arrivals and departures, ensuring all group or meeting room bookings have the equipment and refreshments that they require
- Direct visitors to the Reading Rooms, ensuring that all evening visitors hold valid memberships and that the evening regulations are enforced
- Be particularly accurate with administration, following our Standards of Procedure to ensure all booking details are recorded accurately and confirmed as required
- Work closely with other members of the Reception team, ensuring a thorough and communicative handover between the shift patterns
- The successful candidate must have excellent computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word/Excel/Outlook)
- The successful candidate must remain calm under pressure and be happy to ask for help when needed.
This is not an exhaustive list. The post holder will be expected to carry out any other tasks requested by the Warden/Operations Manager to maintain an efficient office and booking system, as well as the highest standards of customer service.
Hours of work: Monday – Wednesday (inclusive) 5pm – 9.30pm (13.5 hours)
Benefits: Pension scheme. 21 days (pro rata) annual leave entitlement plus two weeks equivalent for Christmas closure
Closing date for applications: 12 noon on Monday, 4th February
Interviews will be held on: Friday, 8th February
Start date: Immediate start available
Please note that we are not able to respond to all applications and that any previous submissions will not be automatically informed of this role.
To apply, please send a covering letter and your CV with contact details of two referees to Jane Jones, Gladstone’s Library, Church Lane, Hawarden, Flintshire, CH5 3DF.
Tel: 01244 532350